Thursday, March 29, 2012


My husband and I discovered a wonderful Jewish deli place not too far away from us. For the first time ever I had a potato pancake with sour cream and apple sauce on top, and lots of manu items that I can't quite pronounce or understand. I tried the corned beef with sauerkraut sandwiched between two pieces of Rye bread, and it was delicious! I've been trying to eat vegan food these days, but right now I am needing some food comfort to balance out the doggy stress... execuses, execuses, right?

As far as the battlefield on the doggy front, things are quickly falling back to normal, which is pretty amazing. There was a total of three "accidents" yesterday, and only one this morning, so the statistics is encouraging.  I decided that it's just too mean to keep Uggie (yeah a homeless dog named after the movie star, what about it?)  in the crate during the day, so I put him on the leash and leashed him with me around the house. As difficult as it may sound, it was actually pretty easy. I had him sitting by my feet while I worked on the computer, he didn't cry like mad this time. The only down side? He almost chewed through the leash and escaped!

Here's what I did to train him: we went to the backyard several times throughout the day for Uggie to go to bathroom, and I always praised him when he did good. When I was in the house, he was on the leash. There was a couple of times I had to go out of the house to run errands, so I crate him, but I putted him in the bedroom with Kelly and Alfie, so that he didn't feel like he was left out. I also left chew toys and a Kang toy stuffed with wet dog food inside the crate for him to play with, and for the most part, he was pretty content. In the afternoon I took each dog seperately for some serious long walks to burn off some energy and get fresh air, then I kept them in the living room til I was able to find time to feed them dinner. After dinner, bathroom break again, a little bit of belly rub for everybody, and it was night time. Uggie went back to the crate, Kelly and Alfie stayed inside the bedroom where Uggie's crate was, and I was free to do things that I needed to do.

This afternoon while I was clipping away plants in the backyard, Alfie and Uggie somehow found a vine from a fern plant, they each got hold of one end of the vine and started playing tug of war. I watched them in amazment for a long time, it was the funniest thing I've seen ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year Preparation

I always like to do a bit of preparation at the end of each year to welcome the new year, although this year things were very challenging, I...