Thursday, March 12, 2015




A while ago I bought a beautiful little pink cattleya orchid from my local grocery store, it was so rare to find cattleyas at grocery stores for a mere $7 I had to grab it. This little cattleya is done blooming now but it has grown in size and is doing quite well on my shelf. 


Within the next few weeks I slowly accumulated three more of these tiny cattleya orchids from the same store, they were absolutely amazing and charming, even though I now have a second one of the pink orchid!


Although most of them are doing excellent right now, this second pink orchid though did not look quite right when I got it, mainly because the two flowers did not open completely like the other ones. I thought I could always repot it and deal with it later. Within a couple of weeks, one flower fell off and the other one's stem started turning yellow, it never quite bloom open completely.



Finally early this morning I took the orchid out of its pot and discovered that most of its roots had rotted away in a mainly sphagnum moss planting mix. After watching over a couple of videos I decided to clean on the roots and repot the orchid.


This is my poor girl after the early morning surgery, I soaked and rinsed new barks and a little bit of moss in water, trimmed off soggy black roots and cleaned the plastic pot that it came in.


I had to use a couple of stakes to hold the now rootless orchid in place! It's sitting on my tv room shelf now bathing in some gentle morning sun!


Now I'm just suppose to mist the orchid frequently and make sure it gets adequate sun. Now let's keep fingers crossed that the roots will grow and I can revive this little girl!


Now I've spent way too much time blogging and my pup is getting impatient!  Fie Fie learned a new trick lately, he jumps on my lap while I'm sitting on my desk chair to get my attention! He's the master of chair jumping... getting off of it is another story:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year Preparation

I always like to do a bit of preparation at the end of each year to welcome the new year, although this year things were very challenging, I...