Friday, February 10, 2017


A couple of weeks ago I rescued two dogs off a heavily trafficked street, thinking that their family would come looking for them at the shelter, I went to my local vet to arrange for a pick up.  It turned out that one of the neighbors in my area recognized the dogs and told me which house they came from, and after owner denied that they ever had dogs it was pretty apparent that they didn't want their pups back.  Before I knew it, one of them was adopted out, and this one was left as a rescue only because one day after she was spayed, someone tried to pet her and almost got bitten.

I hadn't seen the pup for two weeks and decided this morning to see how she was holding up, and she was not doing well at all because she got placed at the back where there was extra fence before the cage and no one could approach her.  She sat there looking like a completely changed puppy, broken spirited, solemn and sad, and the sight really broke my heart.

Luckily I have been in contact with a local rescue and they were ready to pull her out any minute, and after making a phone call, the rescue lady kindly met me at the shelter and helped me pull the puppy out.


I thanked the rescue lady and went on our way home.  Honestly these days I can hardly afford to take care of myself, it's a very bad time in my life right now but I can't turn a blind eye on helpless puppies.  My own experiences back in the days of having no money and nowhere to go but wondering empty streets in my car or crashing over night on school benches were really deeply felt experiences and I somehow can related to these homeless puppies.  For a day I forgot about my own headache and frustrations, I went out and got a collar and a tag for the pup and cooked a little bit extra food for dinner.



We don't have all the supplies yet, but she's got a name and a collar and a full belly, so far so good!


Kelly seems to be doing ok with another girl in the house.  She is probably used to my non-sense by now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year Preparation

I always like to do a bit of preparation at the end of each year to welcome the new year, although this year things were very challenging, I...