Thursday, December 21, 2017


I've wanted an antique centerpiece like this one for years but the prices anywhere was so prohibitive that for a long time it remained on my wish list.  Recently I found one locally that didn't have the glass bowl on top.  I suppose the glass bowl could easily be damaged during a move and if you find a seller that's just downsizing, one can be found for a tiny fraction of the market cost. I paid about two hundred bucks for mine, nothing compared to the going price but still a solid sum for about two weeks of groceries for me.  I borrowed the glass top from another piece but I think the fit is pretty good.  An alternative option might be a glass bowl from an antique bride basket, the fit and shape might fit.  Anyhow, this is the poor girl's version of fancy dining, I will need to serve cup ramen to go with this centerpiece for a while.


The first time I saw one on display was at the Sydney Living Museum blog here. I thought the leaves and deer was so whimsical and unique,  I had never seen anything quite like it!  I sure wish people still dined so elegantly!


Back to my little new found treasure, I love the deer on my piece, it's lovely and has no damage for something that's so old.


I tried it with a pair of candelabras and I actually liked the look.  Now I'm really looking forward to a small dinner party with a few friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year Preparation

I always like to do a bit of preparation at the end of each year to welcome the new year, although this year things were very challenging, I...