Thursday, December 9, 2021

Making Things Better- episode of battling with the dogs


For the past several years I have not used my master bedroom or bathroom, the reason is because the bed is awfully uncomfortable, and the floor suffered a lot of pet damage from mostly Bella when I first got her.  Instead I rather sleep in a much smaller bedroom on the second floor and slowly this room just sort of turned into a junk room that no one wanted to have anything to do with.  

Lately I've really wanted to slowly repair the damage and make it a welcoming space again.  A month ago I finally found a floor refinishing person that charge a reasonable price and also seemed very professional so I booked myself an appointment.  The wait list for him is a whole month but I figured that it was worth the wait.  


As with all home improvements, everything takes longer than expected.  It was initially a one day $1000 floor refinishing job, that turned into three days and costing three times as much.  Once the damaged floor pieces were ripped out, I discovered more damage on the subfloor, which also needed to be cut out and replaced as well.  Unfortunately the flooring contractor is fully booked and I had to wait another half months for him to squeeze in two more days of time to finish the job.  

It was extremely labor intensive work and the two people team did a great job waving in the new wood and polishing off the top layer.  I opted for a much lighter color which turned out pretty well!  Also moving all my wardrobe out of the closet was such a huge task and I wonder how I have accumulated so much clothes! 

The "After" turned out very well and I really like the lighter color!  It's not a "perfect" job but for the purpose of this room this will do and it makes me feel 100 times better than seeing the damaged old floor.  I'd really like to re-finish the rest of the wood floor in the house eventually. 

I've made a list of things that need to be done in order to finish "detailing" this room.  I can really get lost in details but it's something I enjoy so much and it's ok to take time to do each room slowly but get it done right!

Here's my one bedroom to do list, 

  1. Replace existing baseboards.
  2. Paint the interior wall and ceiling
  3. Reinstall closet doors and replace closet door hardwares
  4. Replace ceiling light fixture
  5. Change out curtain rod 
  6. Outfit new window treatment
  7. Custom make window seat cushions.
  8. New bedroom furnitures
  9. Repair window damaged by Uggie

I've been playing with ideas on how to furnish the bedroom and it's so fun to put a mood board together.  I really just want this space to be comfortable and calm so I can use it again. 


I am really hoping that Uggie has grown out of the window eating phase, as he hasn't been chewing on that window for a while...



As for Bella, do you think she's sorry?  I'm not so sure.  Just this morning she got mad at me for making her go potty outside when the ground is a bit wet from a little bit of drizzling rain.  She was not amused!  It's not easy to see in the photo but she is actually quite a large dog and she can easily do some damage to the house compared to Kelly, but I love her so much and I already forgive her for being naughty!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year Preparation

I always like to do a bit of preparation at the end of each year to welcome the new year, although this year things were very challenging, I...