Sunday, December 12, 2021

In the company of flowers


The last couple of weeks I spent quite a bit of time playing with orchids while the house is turned upside down from all the work in two different areas.  I sort of took some time off work for a bit of staycation, it's lame to not do much with my time off but sometimes doing nothing is the best rest I can ask for.   


I busied myself cleaning and repotting orchids into bark medium after taking them home from the store and it's such a relaxing and zen thing to do.  And then after thoroughly watering the medium, I sprayed the orchid with a bit of liquid fertilizer.  I suppose in a couple of months I will be able to know how I'm doing.
 

One of the first thing I did before getting any new orchids was actually reviving and rescuing a few of my old orchids that's been wasting away in the backyard.  I had to save a dying cattleya that's infested with scales, it took days to slowly clean it up with insecticidal soap, hydrating the plant in a water bucket over a couple of days, and then dividing the plant to several smaller plants and put them in tiny four inch pots.  It's a lot of guess work about what needed to be done but I suppose it's a trial and error process.  After some tlc I'm seeing new roots emerging and it's very exciting.  I know it doesn't look like much right now but it's actually quite a rare plant and I'm looking forward to nurture these orchids back to health!  I currently have three different orchids that I'm reviving, and with the divisions they turned into about half a dozen plants.  Hopefully I will get some healthy new growth soon! 


Overall I had a nice break and now I have some beautiful blooms to enjoy for at least the next couple of months.  It occurred to me that much of the life of a grown up is about taking on life's responsibilities and it's so good to do something that's really purely a fun hobby that also adds a lot of beauty to my life.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

New Year Preparation

I always like to do a bit of preparation at the end of each year to welcome the new year, although this year things were very challenging, I...